Ever wanted to know how to ‘mix and scratch’, to wow the crowd with your ‘smoove mixing techniques’. A group of aspiring DJs decided to get in the groove at two special masterclasses at Embassy Gardens this week.
Two of London’s most experienced DJs - Bazza Ranks and Arveene – both with over 15 years of international touring experience – held a special masterclass in the Embassy Gardens Marketing Suite on Nine Elms Lane.
In an interactive beginner’s guide into the world of music production and mixing, some 15 guests were shown the basics of a variety of styles from House and Disco to RNB and Grime. The aspiring mixers also tested out three equipment variations, incorporating Vinyl, CD and Digital Controller set ups.
The tutorials were followed by intimate sets from both DJs, while guests enjoyed drinks and the panoramic views from the roof terrace.
They took away some interesting Do’s and Don’ts:
• Don’t be rude to patrons requesting tracks, even if the requests are ridiculous, and generally they will be ridiculous. Keep calm and always be professional and polite.
• If the crowd leave the dance floor you know you have to change it up musically. If the dance floor is packed you know the path you need to follow too.
• Being a DJ is not about getting drunk and the constant party. Don’t get caught up in the lifestyle, remember it’s all about the music.
• Play the music that you love and feel passionate about - it will keep you interested and enthusiastic longer than just playing the Beatport top 10.
• When doing a warm up set, always try to know what’s ahead of you. Do some research on the following acts. Ask the promoter or booker and scan through their online presence. Remember it’s a warm up set to ease people in and not peak time bangers that’s required.
• Make regular trips to online music stores or record shops to keep your selection fresh and ever changing, never rely on the same old set. There’s so much free music to be had from places like band camp / sound cloud and other artist profiles, keep your finger on the pulse of what’s happening.
The DJ masterclasses were part of a successful programme of recent events at Embassy Gardens, including an EVARAE swimwear launch and Wellness Forum in collaboration with celebrity skin specialist Dr Nigma Talib.
• The masterclasses were held on September 19 and 20 between 6.30pm and 9pm